Tuesday, February 28, 2012

PHOTOGRAPHY SPOTLIGHT ON JAMES JOHNSON

 
 Meet Photographer James Johnson

Name: James Johnson


Name of Company: James Johnson Photography


Hometown: Camden, New Jersey


Describe your Style: I try to bring out the beauty in all of the models that I shoot. When I first started out, I wanted all of my work to look like it was suppose to be in a magazine, whether it be a fashion image, recording artist, classy sexy image, whatever It was. I've always studied the designer ads, the lighting in the Louis Vuitton ads, even the black stripe on my tagged images came from the old prada ads when they had a red stripe for the logo.


Prince Range: $200 - $300



Tell The Asaq about who’s behind the lense: I'm not one of the photographers who knew he'd be doing this years ago. I actually was music producing and was involved with a certain record company that I won't name, who basically bought the world Trey Songz. After a couple years of trying to land a record I got discouraged and left the producing alone. I then met now friend, DevinWade who was already a photographer in the area through a mutual friend Charlii Hustle. Shortly after I started to shoot pictures just for fun, entering contests and the first 3 months I received my first publishing. My humbleness surprises people all the time because if you let me tell it, I'm just a guy with a camera.


How long have you been doing photography?: A little over 3 years.


Do you have any photographers that you would compareyourself too/who or what inspired you growing up: I wouldn't compare myself to any, but I have been inspired by Nick Saglimbeni of Slickforce Studio, Philly photographer Jasen Hudson, IEC Studios, my california friend Jorge Peniche and Facet Studio, and Markus Klinko and Indrani. These photographers ports are very inspiring.


What is the worst part of being a photographer?: For me... it was when other photographers were starting out and mutual friends would tell them that their work didn't look like mines. I'm not the "I'm better than you" photographer, so that bothered me when the negative vibes came from people that I have no problems with. 


What are your future plans?: I'm starting up The Women Of James Johnson Photography, which will mainly showcase models that I'm working close with, I'm also looking into landing more publishings.


What has been the most difficult part about your journey?: The beginning, back no when model wants to shoot because they never heard of you. Those were rough days lol.


What does the phrase “I am not your competition” mean toyou?: I feel like everyone feels like they are the best at what they do.... enough said lol.


Any other words for The Asaq? Thanks for the opportunity to be apart of your blog :)


Links:
Twitter.com/ShotbyJamesJ
ModelMayhem.com/JamesJohnson


 
 




1 comment: